Saturday, August 18, 2007

Pissy Posts, Six Days a Week

Just what in the hell is Love Thursday?

It seems to be pretty popular; my quest to understand it didn't turn up any meaningful answers, but it did turn up hundreds of participants.

I'll be the first to admit that I might be missing something, but so far as I can tell, Love Thursday is the designation of a special day upon which we should all act EXACTLY THE WAY WE SHOULD BE ACTING EVERY DAY.

Is that right?

Because it kind of seems counterproductive to me, to set aside one particular day to do the right thing and have the right attitude and keep the focus in the right place. Kind of seems like a license to SHIFT that focus on all the other days.

One of the things I noticed in some of the posts I found was people fighting negativity and judgmentalism on Thursdays, in a kind of "I don't have the right attitude for Love Thursday today..." kind of way.

Um.

Yeah.

I'm just thinking that maybe that attitude you speak of isn't the right one for ANY day.

We all have them, of course. But it strikes me pretty hard that if a sentiment "isn't appropriate for Love Thursday", it might well be one that shouldn't be voiced on another day, either.

3 comments:

Cookie said...

How interesting.

I read some knitting blogs that do Love Thursday, but it's more about things that make them happy and/or things they love. I believe the idea behind it is that by the time it's Thursday, one may need a reminder of the happy things in life.

I do it on Mondays because love is a rare thing on a Monday morning. However, I do try to do the right thing no matter what day of the week it is. Unless I'm feeling cranky. ;^)

Tiffany said...

"I believe the idea behind it is that by the time it's Thursday, one may need a reminder of the happy things in life."

That makes me sad, Cookie! I hope it's not really true that just living through the first half of the week gets everyone so down that they need to "re-set"!

Anonymous said...

Very well said.

It reminds me of something a husband I once had said.

He had the idea that a spouse should be making love to their husband or wife ALL THE TIME. Not in the physical sense, but in everything they say and do; in general the way that they treat each other should be loving all of the time. That way when you get to the bedroom (Thursday), everyone is already in a happy and loving mood and the love is not something that's an oddity and out of context with the rest of life.

Ahhh, if only he/we could have lived by those words, we might still be married. However, talking the talk is easy. Putting love into your everyday life is harder, if especially if it's not just something that comes naturally to you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...